Monday, May 19, 2008

It Takes a Village

Always I hear this, "It takes a village to raise a child."

Well, I didn't have a village. My family immigrated to this country when I was almost 5 and it was me, my pregnant mom and dad (later my brother, 5 1/2 years my junior, came on the scene). My dad's brother also moved here with his wife and daughter. But we didn't really hang out with them too often because they ended up moving to the valley and we moved to Santa Monica. So, really, it was just the four of us in this really big land called America.

But on Mother's Day 2008 - my first official, just had a baby Mother's Day - we had a village at attendance around our dinner table. The boys, with Auntie Mara and Cousin Melinda, made us lunch. The Moms sat around and ate and laughed and admired the newest member of the Nehdar clan. The Moms included three generations of family. Kaleb has a great-grandmother. I didn't even have a grandmother (in this country). Or a grandfather (ever - long story). Kaleb has a whole family tree that more resembles a forest.

He is a lucky guy.

I always envisioned myself marrying a man with many roots sprouting from his lineage. I married a man who is related to half of Los Angeles. And they hang close together.

And now that I've had Kaleb, I'm part of that history.

I have been admitted to the sacred mom's club. This is a little like when you're traveling in a foreign country and you see someone that you recognize originates from yours - suddenly you are bonded and feel like you've been reunited with someone that gets "it". This is the mom's club that I know belong to and this is how I felt that day sitting around the table sharing a meal and a world with these women for whom I had suddenly found a whole new dimension to appreciate.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! (click on the slideshow pictures to see an enlarged view of our day)

3 comments:

Stratton Family said...

I know what you mean. It's like a whole new world opens up to you once you become a mom. It feels like I know a secret that I have been waiting to know for a long time. I love being a part of the "mom club"

Anonymous said...

That pic with Kaleb with the little hat with the brim in the stroller is my favorite. SO cute! I hafta come and visit soon!
xoxo
Rebekah

Anonymous said...

It does take a village! I hope I can be apart of your baby's village too. Love Jessie and Zoey
PS I have similar issues. Not much family growing up and ended up with a man who has lots and lots of family. I love it!